Converted into the First Festival of Animation, Visual Effects and Video Games on the planet made on a 100% virtual platform, this 15th version of Animayo Gran Canaria has exceeded all expectancies, marking a milestone within the historical past of those fairs with greater than 35,000 members and 22,000 new registrations from nations just like the United Kingdom, the United States, France, Germany, Denmark, Russia, the Czech Republic, India, Canada, Chile, Venezuela, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Brazil and Peru, along with Spain.
Among the greater than 1,600 works submitted to Animayo, of which 67 have been decided on for the movie festival, Kapaemahu by means of Hinaleimoana Wong-Kalu, Dean Hamer and Joe Wilson beneath the animation path of Daniel Sousa (U.S., 2020), got here out on most sensible with the Grand Jury Award for 2020. Kapaemahu thus obtains an immediate go for the Oscar Preselection within the Best Animation Short Film class, as Animayo is lately the one Academy Awards Qualifying Festival in Spain, designated now for 3 years. In addition, the winner receives a money prize of €three,000 (~$three,400 USD) and an honorary trophy.
Kapaemahu, because of this “stones of life” in local Hawai’ian, brings to existence a formidable Hawai’ian legend during which 4 atypical Māhū, or two-spirit folks — the 3rd gender, each female and male — introduced the therapeutic arts of Tahiti to Hawai’i and imbued 4 massive rocks with their powers; rocks nonetheless commemorated nowadays. The piece is a vibrant animation noticed throughout the eyes of a kid and narrated within the historic Hawai’ian dialect.
The International Jury was once chaired by means of Claus Toksvig Kjaer, a Danish animation manufacturer on remarkable tasks akin to Oscar nominee Song of the Sea or Long Way North, winner of the Audience Award at Annecy. His upcoming tasks come with characteristic movies Calamity – The Childhood of Martha Jane Cannary and The Ape Star, co-produced in collaboration with Maybe Movies and Lee Film. The International Jury additionally integrated Cecilia Aranovich, Lizzie Nichols, Carolina Jiménez and Marcos González P.
The Spanish Jury gave the award for Best Animated Short Film in Spanish – Animation with Ñ to El pájarocubo, from Marcos Mas and Jorge Alberto Vega Rivera (Colombia, 2019). This jury comprised Rafa Zabala, Christian Dan Bejarano, Marcos González P., Cecilia Aranovich and Lizzie Nichols. Finally, the jury for the Official Section of Cinematic, Music Videos and Commissioned was once shaped by means of Edu Martín, Arturo Monedero, Rafa Zabala, Marcos González P. and Carolina Jiménez.
As an entire, the Winners List 2020 represents a choice of movies during which now not simplest the visible creative high quality sticks out, but in addition the super sound high quality. So, for the primary time in Animayo, the Jury made up our minds to award a Special Mention for Best Sound Design to Konstantin Bronzit and his quick movie He can’t reside with out cosmos. Also noteworthy is the soundtrack for the quick movie The Tiger Who Came to Tea, composed by means of the British musician Robbie Williams. Likewise, this yr’s Social Awareness Award winner made an have an effect on dealing with the new subject of the location of immigrants within the United States: The Office of Missing Children by means of Michael Schiller (U.S., 2018).
The complete checklist of winners is to be had right here.
Defying the restrictions led to by means of the arena COVID-19 pandemic, Animayo spoke back to the disaster with the release of its maximum state of the art version on a 100% virtual platform, a globally unparalleled style — with customizable avatars, complex 3-D technology, 100% virtual areas with out the will for VR headsets, real-time voice equipment, agility to hook up with the gadget, interplay functions and intercommunication between avatars. Seven years in the past, Damián Perea, founding director of the International Summit Animayo, had the imaginative and prescient to incorporate a completely virtual part within the pageant, simplest this technology didn’t but exist. But closing yr, he met Don Stein, founder and CEO of Teooh, a brand new avatar-based virtual occasions platform that permits users to “sit” and have interaction in the similar virtual house. COVID-19 shutdowns became out to be the “ideal framework” to reorganize this version and make it occur.
For this particular version, the group iced up the sale of tickets (the total go for the pageant was once priced at €150) and, in a brand new step of social consciousness taken in conjunction with the primary sponsors and collaborators, the finances to be had for the Animayo Talent Scholarship have been boosted to greater than €500,000 to lend a hand scholars of Computer Graphics, Multiplatform Applications, VR & Simulation, Software Engineering, Programming, Game Design, VFX, Realization, Production in Audiovisual Environments and Animation, amongst many different levels, grasp’s and postgraduate levels, in addition to Higher Degree Training Cycle, doctorates and lessons. All of them in universities and colleges, nationwide and world, of the best possible stage in each on-line and face-to-face modalities, akin to U-tad, ESDIP, ESCAV, L’Idem, Universidad Europea, Cesur or ArtHeroes. Applications are open till June 30, upon unfastened registration at the Animayo.com site; for the ones elderly 16 and up.
Apply for the Animayo Talent Scholarship right here.
In addition, Animayo 2020 higher its collection of audio system by means of 70% in comparison to the former version. A complete of 57 professionals from 14 nations, a lot of them with honors shape the Oscar Awards, Annie, Emmy, Lovie Awards, Art Directors Guild of America, VES, ZBrush Live Sculpt-Off, International Media Award, Google best possible and International Travel & Tourism Award. Renowned world pros of the trade who’ve labored in studios akin to DreamWorks Animation, Cartoon Saloon, The Walt Disney Company, Warner Bros., Pixar, Sony Pictures Animation, Ilion Animation Studios, Skydance, Weta Digital or Delirium Studios. Artists who left their mark on identified works with nominations for the Oscars, Goya Awards, VES or the Webby Awards, amongst others, akin to Klaus, The Hobbit (trilogy), Iron Man, Avengers, The Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Alike, Hero, Planet 51, Shrek Forever After, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, The Lord of the Rings (trilogy), Beauty and the Beast, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Underdogs, Mortadelo and Filemón: Mission Implausible, Wonder Park, The Wind Rises, The Illusionist, Wolf Children, Game of Thrones; Love, Death + Robots; Jurassic World and Justice League, in addition to video games like Vigor, Argo, DayZ, the Samorost saga, Machinarium, Castlevania Lords of Shadow II, or tasks solely evolved in VR like the quick movie The Remedy.
All shared their wisdom and reports at the first weekend of the Festival, on May eight and nine, in 8 panel discussions and two debates, every of them moderated by means of five professionals, during which we entered into disciplines akin to persona introduction and design; the newest research in virtual reality ways, video games and animation; paintings of animators and manufacturers; 3-D modelling, virtual sculpture; storyboard; manufacturing designers, visible building artists, format and thought artists, and visible results ways. Speakers integrated:
- Esther Morales. Ireland. Senior Lead Character Designer. Cartoon Saloon, Lighthouse Studios, Ánima.
- Juan Pablo López. Spain. Senior Character Artist and Concept Artist. Pyro Studios, SPA Studios, Skydance.
- Tommy Tejeda. U.S. Character Designer. The Walt Disney Company, Fox (The Simpsons), Marvel Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation, Cartoon Network.
- Miriam Hidalgo, “Perditah”. Spain. Illustrator and Character Designer. Ominiky Ediciones, Estudio Mariscal, Filmax animation.
- Núria Aparicio, “La Pendeja”. Spain. Illustrator, Animator. Nikodemo, Neptuno Films, Editorial Salvat, Grupo Hachette Livre.
- Edgar Martín-Blas. Spain. CEO & Creative director. Virtual Voyagers, Tuenti, Telefónica, Teaser, Xocolat Design.
- Laura Raya. Director of Graduate Programmes and Virtual Reality Projects. U- tad. She has collaborated with companies akin to ACCIONA, NEXT LIMIT, GMV, Ra-Ma and Indra, Switzerland, Spain.
- Daniel Peixe. U.S., Spain. Walt Disney Animation Studios, Ilion Animation Studios, Keytoon Animation Studio, BFC.
- Diego Bezares. Founder & Developer. Zinkia Entertainment, BKOOL, G4M3 studios and Mind The Pixel.
- Guillermo Castilla. U.Ok., Spain. Coordinator of the level in Video Game Design, lecturer in Animation and researcher, European University.
- Raúl García. U,S., Spain. Animator, Director and Producer. Kandor Moon, Kandor Graphics, The Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- Laia Farré. U.Ok., Spain. Lead animator. Skydance, Framestore, Mikros Image, Blue Dream Studios.
- Christian Dan Bejarano. France, Spain. Animation manager. Skydance, The SPA Studios, The Frank Barton Company.
- Marcos González P. U.S., Spain. Animator. DreamWorks Animation, Encore, Duncan Studio, Buck, Psyop, Sony Computer Entertainment of America, Lightbox Entertainment.
- Daniel Martínez Lara. Spain. Winner of the Goya for Best Animated Short in 2016. Development marketing consultant for Blender Grease Pencil device.
- Ángel Molina, Spain. Project Manager, Art Director. Blue Pixel 3-D, Zinkia Entertainment, Magic Films.
- Juan Solís. U.S., U.Ok., Spain. Character Supervisor. Skydance, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Blur Studio, The Frank Barton Company.
- Luis Labrador. U.S., Spain. Modeling Supervisor. Walt Disney Animation Studios, DreamWorks Animation, Sony Pictures Imageworks.
- Marlon Núñez. U.Ok., Spain. Digital Sculptor, Character Artist. BLUR, Realtime UK, Hasbro, Art Heroes.
- Manuel González. Graduate in Journalism. Director of the Spanish TV programme, Zoom Net.
- Arturo Monedero. Spain. Deputy Chairman of the Spanish Video Game Association. Video Game Designer. Delirium Studios.
- Anna Guxens. Co-founder, Design & Development. 3bytes.
- Tatiana Delgado. Spain. Illustrator. Co-founder of Out of the Blue Games.
- Daniel Calabuig. Spain. Author and CCO at Unmemory.
- Mercedes Rey. Spain. Director of Institutional Relations and Strategic Partnerships. U- tad, Pyro Studios, Proein.
- Paula Benedicto. U.S., Spain. Senior Animator. Skydance, The Walt Disney Studios.
- Andrés Bedate. Canada, Spain. Character Animator. Sony Pictures Imageworks, Cinesite, Animum.
- Gisela Prunés. U.S., Spain. HR Specialist. The Walt Disney Studios, Marvel Studios.
- Laura Bethencourt. U.Ok., Spain. VFX Line Producer. Framestore, Double Negative.
- Cinzia Angelini. Italy, U.S. Storyboard Artist. DreamWorks Animation, Illumination Entertainment.
- Paulo Alvarado. Finland. Head of Story. Rovio Entertainment, Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- Cecilia Aranovich. U.S., Spain. Supervising Director, Storyboard Artist, Director. Warner Bros. Animation.
- Sergio Páez. U.S. Director, Story Artist, Writer.
- Álex Relloso. Spain. Storyboard Artist. Skydance.
- Carlos Zaragoza. U.S., Spain. Production fashion designer. Sony Pictures Animation, Paramount Animation, DreamWorks Animation, Rocket Pictures, Universal Pictures.
- Aurora Jiménez. U.S., Spain. Visual Development Artist. DreamWorks Animation, Sony Pictures Animation, EA, Universal Pictures.
- Lizzie Nichols. U.S. Visual Development Artist. Sony Pictures Animation, DreamWorks Animation, Walt Disney Imagineering, RGH Entertainment. Her purchasers come with Disney Television and Cartoon Network.
- Aya Suzuki. Japan, U.Ok. Animation Artist, Layout and Concept Artist. Studio Ghibli, Walt Disney Animation, Passion Pictures, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Netflix.
- Antonio Arés. Senior Concept Artist. Skydance, Auriga Films, Grupo Zeta, U-tad.
- Carolina Jiménez. Canada, Spain. Lead Layout Artist. Scanline VFX, Weta Digital, MPC, OK Infografía, Skydance.
- Eli Jarra. U.S. VFX manager. Think VR, Westwind Media, Entity FX, Pixel Playground.
- Adrián Pueyo. Canada, New Zealand, Germany, Spain. VFX Compositor. Trixter, Weta Digital, Scanline VFX, MPC, ILM, DNeg.
- Pablo Giménez. U.Ok., Spain. Lead FX TD.Double Negative, MPC, The Mill.
- Roger Kupelian. U.S. Matte Painter, Concept Artist. Digital Domain, MPC, Sony Imageworks, Pixomondo, Weta Digital.
- Rocío Ayuso. Journalist, Writer and Film Producer. El País, R & R Communications.
- Lorena Ares. Spain. Animation Director and Screenwriter. Dr. Platypus & Ms. Wombat, Moonbite Studios.
- Argentina Oliva. Spain. Production Supervisor. Mondo TV.
- Marina Soto. U.S., Spain. Associate Recruiter. DreamWorks Animation.
On May 15 and 16, 15 grasp categories got by the use of streaming by means of world professionals in animation, VFX and video games, attaining 21,923 overall registrations. Among the themes have been 2D animation for cinema, video games and tv; 3-D modelling; Blender device inventions akin to Grease Pencil; secrets and techniques of the virtual creations of one of the nice Hollywood blockbusters; the development of worlds in video games; guidelines for making a just right portfolio and effectively going through a task interview; performing in animation; the artwork of lighting fixtures; the secrets and techniques of the concept that artist; the making of The Remedy, solely made in VR with Quill from Facebook’s Oculus platform; the way to arrange and transfer a demo reel to get a VFX activity across the world, and many others.
Master elegance audio system integrated: Rafa Zabala, Daniel Martínez Lara, Eli Jarra, Roger Kupelian, Edu Martín, Aya Suzuki, Daniel Peixe, Carolina Jiménez and Iván Carmona; Rémy Terreaux (France), Lead Animator, . Dreamworks, Illumination Mac Guff, Kandor Graphics, Skydance, Fortiche Productions; Ivan Buchta (Czech Rep.), Creative Director; Lukáš Kunce (Czech Rep.), PR & manufacturing, Amanita Design; Tomasz “Floex” Dvorak (Czech Rep.), Music Composer, Musician, Producer, DJ and Multimedia Artist; and David Benzal (Spain), Concept Artist, Sony PlayStation, Fuji Television, HBO, Ubisoft, The Walt Disney Company, Netflix, Grupo Planeta, Universal Pictures.
The following week, Animayo celebrated the First Online Reverse Trade Mission between Canada and the Canary Islands, arranged in collaboration with Proexca. Held May 27-28, 25 manufacturers, impartial administrators and studios from the animation, VFX and video games sectors have been offered and installed touch — 11 from Canada and 14 from the Canary Islands, of which six have been from Gran Canaria, seven from Tenerife and one from Fuerteventura. These conferences had the target of organising synergies between manufacturers, impartial filmmakers and studios, aiming for imaginable destiny collaborations, a greater working out of the reality of the Canarian trade as a global platform for the improvement of animation productions, VFX and video games, appearing Canadian companies the standard of the content material of Canarian productions via their most up-to-date tasks.
Likewise, some novelties of the regional marketplace have been offered, how is it operating with the limitations imposed by means of COVID-19 and destiny potentialities, selling the benefits that the Canary Islands have for audiovisual manufacturing and the animation trade. The convention concluded with virtual networking the use of avatars over the Animayo/Teooh platform. More data right here.
The 15th version of Animayo will go back q4 to have fun its face-to-face segment, during which it’s going to come to a decision the Audience Award and the legitimate phase of the My First Festival contest; provide the screenings of the Animayo 2020 Awards for all audiences, a video game house and virtual reality house, premiere quick movies made by means of kids for youngsters (Animayo Educational System), U-future reports and faculty screenings for number one and secondary scholars.